One of the primary goals of UTERN is to allocate funding to individuals or student groups planning projects or events related to sustainability. For individuals or groups who are in need of funding, our application is available here. Please download a copy of the application below, include all necessary information, and email it to email@example.com.
Once we receive your application, our executive team will review it and determine whether to give full, partial or no funding. Before sending in your application, please ensure that you are eligible. Refer to the eligibility section for a more detailed guideline.
Any UofT student or student group planning an initiative/project relating to the environment and sustainability is eligible to apply. Applications must demonstrate that their event benefits the greater UofT community and increases the student knowledge about current environmental issues.
Events may fall into various categories within the environmental theme. Examples include indigenous rights, water scarcity, food insecurity, global migration, and sustainability. We understand that the theme of “environment” is broad and interdisciplinary. If you are unsure about whether your event falls within the theme of the environment, feel free to contact us.
Eligible candidates can fill out the application form (which can be downloaded Here) and forward the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org. Our project manager will contact you shortly to discuss the next steps.
Accessibility and transportation
One of UTERN’s missions is to encourage the accessibility of events, making sure that everyone feels included and welcome. When our executive team is evaluating the accessibility of an event, points of consideration include the accessibility of the venue (e.g. presence of accessible washrooms and automatic doors) and proximity to public transport. If requested, we are able to provide funds for extra action(s) taken by organisers to make the event more accessible (eg hiring an ASL interpreter).
UTERN does not fund international travel. Transportation within the GTA for students will be funded with a cap of $100 per student group per semester.
For a guide on accessible event planning, you can refer to:
Collaboration is a great way to increase your audience and get to know other students interested in the environment and sustainability. Collaboration is not mandatory for funding but it is encouraged. You will be required to list any collaborators and partners in the application. You can find a list of active environmental student groups Here.
* Collaboration is especially encouraged for individual applicants, and as a network, we can point you towards possible avenues for that.
UTERN funds retroactively; therefore, groups are welcome to apply either before or after their event/initiative has been concluded. Although there is no deadline for reimbursement, it is preferred that funding applications be submitted as soon as possible. We can only fund items for which a receipt is available and the receipts must match what is indicated on the application. In cases where the event details and costs have changed, applicants will be required to submit a new application form.
For cash honorariums, we require that speakers sign a document that they have received the honorarium. Honorariums are capped at $50 per speaker (exceptions will be made for indigenous or speakers from marginalized groups). Unfortunately, UTERN does not fund for staffing costs (with the exclusion of accessibility needs).
In order for the funding application to be approved, it is advisable that the applicants be specific about expenses (eg. specifying the number of speakers invited, how much food will be provided). Applicants are also encouraged to explore other sources of funding to ensure that all funding needs are met.
* For recurring events, applicants can either choose to hand in one application form and their receipts at the end of the year for reimbursement, or apply individually for each event date.
* For applications over $1000, it is required that a representative attend one of executive meetings (either in-person or through an online platform).
* The funding is capped at 3 events per semester per group (excluding recurring events).
* Although UTERN funds retroactively, we are flexible about providing some funds up-front. Applicants need to discuss their needs with the executive team.
* We reserve the right to attend the event to ensure the accuracy of the details stated in the application.
* UTERN is not liable for damages or incidents occurring during events that are financed through UTERN’s funds (with the exception of events run by or collaborating with UTERN). This includes events that use UTERN’s dish rental service (with the exception of damages incurred from pre-existing faults in items rented out).
Applicants are encouraged to make their events as sustainable as possible. UTERN provides a free dish service, which can be requested using this form, in order to reduce the use of single-use plastic. Other points of consideration include reducing food waste, paper usage, etc.
For a sustainability guide specific to University of Toronto, you can refer to https://www.fs.utoronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/sustainable-events-guide.pdf